Monday, February 09, 2009

Praying for Healing

"They scurried about the surrounding country and began to bring in the sick on mats to wherever they heard he was."
--Mark 6:55

As I meditated on this passage today, the internal Judger within me immediately felt disdain for these people: "They were only seeking Jesus out to get what they wanted from him! I'll bet most of these folks took their healing and then high-tailed it back home, never to give him another thought."

Folks often say that what we judge in others the most is what we actually disdain in ourselves.

How many times have I prayed for my own self-serving needs, and how little has my heart been changed? How quickly have I forgotten the grace I received? And how generously God answered my prayers anyway, just as He did these people? We are not so different, any of us. And God loves us anyway, and wants our joy, and happiness, and healing.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have approached that passage with the same feelings before, that they only wanted to use Jesus, not become new in their lives. I've also felt the same thing about the times I've said, if only I could touch the fringe of his cloak.

Keep On Brother.
Steve