Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Good Problems

"Do you not yet understand or comprehend?
Are your hearts hardened?
Do you have eyes and not see, ears and not hear?
And do you not remember,
when I broke the five loaves for the five thousand,
how many wicker baskets full of fragments you picked up?"
They answered him, "Twelve."
He said to them, "Do you still not understand?"
--Mark 8:14-21

Oops.

Yes, I do understand, but I forget.

I grumble and worry about problems at work, forgetting that there are millions who do not have a job.

I fret about the challenges of relationships, of finding the time to visit with friends and family and meet my many perceived social obligations, forgetting that there are those utterly alone.

I feel anxious about an upcoming trip overseas, forgetting that there are those who cannot move on their own, let alone who have the opportunity of a lifetime such as mine.

I am troubled over the many responsibilities I have because of owning a home, cars, and a myriad of consumer goods, forgetting that there are those who are homeless, penniless, who have nothing.

I feel unworthy and broken because of my short-sightedness and self-centeredness, forgetting that I am loved and redeemed and healed anyway, no matter how many times I forget.

Thank you for forgiving my forgetfulness, Lord. Thank you for these problems. Amen.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You are a good man, and a good Christian, and well on your way to a good Lay Cistercian, too. Your posts always move me.