Sunday, October 02, 2005

An Ecclesiastical Aside

Church politics is of great interest to me, but I have never intended to use this blog as a place for commenting on ecclesiastical matters, and I promise I will not make it a habit to do so. Nevertheless, a lot of my readers are Catholic friends and family, and I think there are some interesting things going on right now that deserve their attention. First of all, Pope Benedict XVI's first Synod of Bishops begins in Rome this week. The topic is the future of the Eucharist. What is remarkable in this is that a number of issues critical to progressive Catholics are on the table, including a discussion of optional celibacy for the priesthood (in other words, married priests). There will also be a contingent of representatives from other Christian denominations participating in the discussions. These are hopeful signs, but none perhaps more hopeful than the cordial meeting between the Pope and Catholic theologian-in-exile Hans Kung, who is a patron saint of church reform. Let's send good vibes to the Pope and this Synod that the sensus fidelum might be heard.

No comments: