Friday, January 23, 2009

The "New" Covenant

"Now our high priest has obtained so much more excellent a ministry, as he is our mediator of a better covenant...For I will forgive their evildoing and remember their sins no more."
--Hebrews 8:6, 12

The weekday readings since the end of Christmas have featured many deeply theological passages from the letter to the Hebrews. The author describes Jesus as the high priest of a new covenant between God and humankind. One of the subtleties here is that the new covenant does not replace the old covenant, but actually brings it to complete fulfillment.

In the Abrahamic covenant, God called the Hebrews into special relationship, one based on mutual fidelity. God deepened our understanding of fidelity through the Mosaic covenant, which articulated how people who live in relationship with God ought to conduct themselves in the world. The prophet Jeremiah, quoted in this passage from the letter to the Hebrews, challenged the people to let God not only transform their outward behavior, but their very hearts. The law's purpose is to show us what a life of love looks like in practice. But the point is to fall helplessly in love with God, and by extension, the world and people God has created and redeemed.

Throughout the history of this unfolding covenant, the people kept failing to live real lives of faith. They were often selfish, short-sighted, and even blasphemed God for their own failures. God is depicted as being frustrated, angry...hurt practically...by His people's willfulness and refusal to submit to His love. And yet, He never rejects them (despite some of the rhetoric attributed to God in the Scriptures that He wants to and does). Instead, God relentlessly pursues the people, wooing them again and again back to Himself, and rejoicing in their return, putting aside their sins (see the prophet Hosea for a great metaphorical description of this relationship).

Jesus comes into this story for so many reasons, some probably beyond our understanding and awareness, but it is clear that our failure to live by the covenant is at the center of his purpose. In Jesus, God makes the most dramatic demonstration of His love for all time--He gives Himself completely, taking all of our sins on to Himself. "Here's how much I love you," God says. "I will wipe out your failures, and not just that, I will take on the flesh and nature of your very own human lives, and pour myself out as a human being, for you. You will see a perfect example of the covenant, in the flesh, and I will be one with you once and for all."

I don't pretend to understand how all of this works, or really even what it all means. In my own life, though, I can see myself as a microcosm of salvation history itself: God coming to me in an offer of simple relationship when I was a child; God showing me the way of righteousness through the Law, and my failure to live up to the covenant; God calling me to love and deeper relationship; and ultimately, my complete and utter dependence on God. I have earned and deserve none of the blessings of my life, much less the redemption of my soul and the total devotion and love God pours out into my heart.

When I consider this gift, not just for myself, but for all of humanity for all time, it leaves me humbled, breathless, and filled with the deepest gratitude and wonder.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hmmm, sounds like someones spiritual life just grew a few inches more. Gratitude to God for the wonder of our salvation is a blessed thing to sense, to know, and to share.

Steve