Tuesday, November 01, 2011

To be a Saint

Solemnity of All Saints


Today is probably my favorite day in the entire Christian calendar.  Truth be told, I relish it even more than Easter and Christmas, though these are no doubt more important solemnities, but those holidays have become so overwhelmed by commercial and social dimensions, I really have to work at observing them as holy days.  Not so with All Saints, snuck in, as it were, after the secular festivities of Halloween (which wouldn't even have a name without the "Hallowed" ones of All Saints).

Today is when we savor the communal nature of the Christian faith in all its glory.  Today we recognize that the historical icons of Christianity - Mary, Joseph, the Apostles, Francis of Assisi, John of the Cross, Ignatius Loyola, Thomas More, Theresa of Calcutta, and a host of others, including the seemingly ordinary saints who have gone before us, including friends and family who have died, are as real and alive to us right now in the awesome family of Christ as when they walked the earth in flesh.  They pray for us, intercede for us, "cheer us on" (as my pastor put it today), as vigorously and enthusiastically as our closest family and friends in the faith do here in this world, even moreso.

And they invite us to holiness, and to join them in the shimmering light of God, promising a destiny of eternal life.  But they also invite us to follow them into sainthood, starting right now.

My favorite take on this comes from Thomas Merton, writing in his autobiography The Seven Storey Mountain, about a conversation with his friend Robert Lax, not long after Merton had been baptized:

I forget what we were arguing about, but in the end Lax suddenly turned around and asked me the question:
"What do you want to be anyway?" Lax asked.
I could not say, "I want to be Thomas Merton, the well-known writer of all those book reviews in the back pages of the Times Book Review"...so I put it on a spiritual plane.
"I don't know; I guess what I want to be is a good Catholic."
"What do you mean, you want to be a good Catholic?"
The explanation I gave was lame enough, and expressed my confusion, and betrayed how little I had thought about it.
Lax did not accept it.
"What you should say"--he told me--"What you should say is that you want to be a saint."
A saint!  The thought struck me as a little weird.  I said:
"How do you expect me to become a saint?"
"By wanting to," Lax said simply.
"I can't be a saint," I said.  "I can't be saint."  And my mind darkened with a confusion of realities and unrealities: the knowledge of my own sins, and the false humility that makes men say they cannot do the things they must do, cannot reach the level they must reach: the cowardice that says, "I am satisfied to save my soul, to keep out of mortal sin," but which means, by those words, "I do not want to give up my sins and attachments."
But Lax said: "No.  All that is necessary to be a saint is to want to be a saint.  Don't you believe that God will make you what He created you to be, if you consent to let Him do it?  All you have to do is desire it."
A long time ago St. Thomas Aquinas said the same thing--and it is something that is obvious to anyone who has ever understood the Gospels.  After Lax was gone, I thought about it, and it became obvious to me.
The next day I told Mark Van Doren:
"Lax is going around saying all that a man needs to be a saint is to want to be one."
"Of course," said Mark.
All these people were much better Christians than I.  They understood God better than I.  What was I doing?  Why was I so slow, so mixed up, still, so uncertain in my directions and so insecure?
Of course, with God's grace Merton found his way, and became one of the greatest uncanonized saints of the 20th century, laying down the same challenge to us that his friend Lax laid down to him.  It's not just possible, it is God's promise.  And our destiny.

Holy One, make me holy.  I am yours.

Saints of all ages, past, present, and future, pray for us.  Amen.

No comments: