Friday, October 28, 2011

A Church Meeting Postmortem

From The Praying Life blog comes this gem, a "Church Meeting Postmortem:"

I cannot for the life of me
figure out
how people who love God,
good people
faithful people

are able to spend so much time
talking about God
reading about God
and running here and there
doing God's work

and not have time to stop.
And bow.
Awestruck.
Lost in love.

Every five minutes or so.
I know the sweet seduction
of anxiety, power, and that little harlot
ego.

I have fallen for their whispered lies,
and empty promises.

I have wakened from a night
in their arms,
unsatisfied, restless, and fretful.

But, I ask you,
do we not have a clue,
that the Beloved is in the room
disrobing
right before our eyes?

How many ephiphanies are omitted
from the minutes
of last month's meeting?

How can we go on pretending
that Holiness is not breathing
shivers of ecstasy
down our necks?

Am I crazy?
Probably.


But I am also sick and weary of sitting on this Wonder.
Don't be surprised then,
when I rise up and prostrate
myself
during Carl Mitchell's report
on the cost of replacing the pews
with moveable chairs.

I just couldn't go on pretending any longer,
and this hungry Love has taken me

beyond propriety,
decency,
and order.

Check out the whole blog here.

No comments: