Monday, August 17, 2009

My many possessions

"When the young man heard this statement he went away sad, because he had many possessions."
--Matthew 19:22

I have never particulary identified with the rich young man in this Gospel passage, in part because I've never thought I was rich but also because I never had much interest in being rich or having a lot of nice things. I always took a little bit of smug satisfaction in Jesus dressing down the wealthy in this reading.

But today, I hear the word of the Lord. I am not rich by American standards, but I am certainly rich compared to many others, and my life is absolutely full of nice things (possessions, broadly understood), from a modest but beautiful home to newer, well-functioning cars, to my many friendships, my physical health, enough resources for nice vacations and evenings out, and a busy social schedule. In fact, as I think on it, the greatest frustrations of my daily life come from the relentless management of all these good things. I don't face any serious deprivation, illness, or oppression, but I sure whine and fret a lot over the broken air conditioner, spending too much time at my good-paying (mostly rewarding) job, finding time to exercise more and preserve my already strong health, or deciding which competing dinner invitation to accept from friends.

I am embarassed to admit this, but Jesus has hit me square between the eyes today. Clearly, there is nothing wrong with having all these things, but the lack of gratitude for them and the excessive focus on maintaining and managing my "possessions" can pose a real obstacle to true discipleship.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So it's like we were talking about Saturday, distractions from what is truly central and important in our lives. God.