Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Lord of My Life

"All the faithful should listen to the word as it is announced in the liturgy or in Bible services and respond according to their ability.  In this way, for the whole Church, Lent will not be merely a season simply of a few formalized penitential practice, half-understood and undertaken without interest, but a time of metanoia, the turning of all minds and hearts to God in preparation for the celebration of the Paschal Mystery in which some will for the first time receive the light of Christ, others will be restored to the communion of the faithful, and all will renew their baptismal consecration of their lives in God, in Christ."
--Thomas Merton, Seasons of Celebration

I feel the great stirring within me, the anticipation and expectation of Easter.  The liturgical calendar and the scripture readings and rites that accompany it have succeeded in bringing something to life within me.  Lent has revealed many dark corners within me that are in need of redemption, but not without the abiding promise of deliverance.  The light of Easter is about to break, and I have never been more aware of my need and desire to surrender completely and wholly to the Lord of my life.

I am not sure I have ever felt quite like this.  Don't get me wrong.  I am not hearing angels' voices or experiencing special charisms.  Rather, I just have this deep sense of calling and confirmation within me.  "The Lord GOD has given me a well-trained tongue," the Scripture says today, "that I might know how to speak to the weary a word that will rouse them."  

Perhaps there are many ways to speak to the weary.  I'm not sure what my way is, but I am pretty confident I will be led there if I remain open.

No comments: